Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Monument

We went up The Monument. This is the column built to commemorate the Great Fire of London. It is 202 feet high (61.5m) and is the tallest isolated stone column in the world. I read that on the Monument web site. I've no idea what that means. I've seen taller stone columns (the Washington monument, for instance), but presumably they don't count because they're not isolated. It must be some technical term because the Washington monument in Washington is in the middle of a field in the centre of Washington DC. That's isolated from other buildings as far as I can see. So, I can only assume that it fits the criteria because it's shaped like a classical column and it's by itself. The Washington monument must be an obelisk.






Anyway The Monument is well worth a visit, with spectacular views from the top once you've climbed the 311 spiral stairs.


No comments: