Friday, October 13, 2006

World Heritage Site



So, the Pontcysyllte aqueduct is set to become a world heritage site. This is ironic when you consider the fact that it is a very popular but relatively isolated part of over 2000 miles of our canal system, now under threat. British Waterways announced 180 job losses among the staff who maintain the network
due to a problem with farm subsidies in DEFRA. A problem not of BW's making which prompted the government to announce a cut in BW's grant partway through the current budget year. Write to your MP! I'm joining the Inland Waterways Association.

The world heritage announcement resulted in a conversation with my colleague Carl about the aqueduct which sent me to my photo archive when I reached home. I crossed the aqueduct in 2003, I think, so there should be physical photos in the box in the loft. I'll post them when I find them. One day I'll get around to scanning them in...

No comments: