Saturday, March 03, 2007

Waterways Protest at Banbury


I took the boys to Banbury this afternoon. We went in search of the IWA funding cuts protest. Not quite as spectacular as the protest I missed entirely last month. There was a stall on the towpath opposite the Castle Quay shopping centre. I added my name to the petition. There were two narrowboats moored next to the stall. I assume the owners were manning the stall because when we went back that way to play in the waterlogged park before going home boats and stall had disappeared.
There was another stall inside the shopping centre, again manned by IWA members (I assume they were members, they were all wearing badges). I think the general public were slightly bemused by this activity. Most of them have no idea of the funding cuts. I wonder how many of them even know about British Waterways?
I was a little disappointed at the lack of stuff to see - was hoping to see more narrowboats protesting - like the blockade a month or so ago. Never mind: I cheered myself up by visiting the chandlery at Tooley's.
After a visit to the park during which I spent a lot of time trying to keep the boys from getting too muddy and wet we came home with the car roof down, beating the rain home by a couple of minutes!

No comments: