Friday, June 22, 2007

The Aeronauts


I don't know what triggered it but a dim memory of a TV series that enthralled me as a child surfaced. Couldn't trace it at all. It was in French, dubbed into English, so I thought it might be Canadian. It was about two air force pilots. The only thing I could only remember was the name of one of them: Tanguy. Well, the power of the internet came to the rescue of my dim memory. It turns out it was a French series called Les Chevaliers du Ciel, made in 1967, dubbed into English and broadcast by the BBC in the early 70s as the Aeronauts. It was remade in 1988 as a new French TV series and finally as a film in 2005.
I think the translators in both case had a tin ear for a title "Knights of the Sky" is a lot more poetic than the Aeronauts or Sky Fighters. The original TV series was based on a series of comics beginning in 1961 created by Uderzo, co-creator of Asterix.

No comments: