Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Harlech Castle


Edward I built Harlech Castle nearly 800 years ago.

It dominates the town that grew up around it and dominates the landscape as it was intended to. The castle was originally built next to the sea and had a jetty at the foot of the castle rock that could be used to resupply the garison in the event of a siege. Changing sea levels have left the castle a mile inland today. On our wall at home there hangs a picture painted by my grandfather before my first birthday (in 1965), of Harlech castle, so this visit was something of a pilgrimage for me as well as a visit to a spectacular monument.

I was hoping to get a photograph of the same scene as the picture but it wasn't until I returned home that I realised the painting view point was from the south of the castle while I assumed it was from the east so our photo shows the gatehouse.

No comments: