Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Too Long in Chesterfield


My employers have seen fit to send me to Chesterfield for the last four weekdays and while it is a charming place I have grown tired of it's charms. Fortunately today was the last day and I have waved goodbye to the place whose most noticeable feature is an architectural disaster:
I had a couple of chances to look around the charming town centre at lunch times but spent most of my time in my company's offices about a mile to the east of the centre where there's not a great deal to see. I did manage to visit the town museum where I learned that railway pioneer George Stephenson made his home there and that there is a canal there undergoing restoration. The Chesterfield canal is still navigable for about three quarters of its original length where it was cut by the collapse of the Norwood tunnel in 1907.

No comments: