Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Change of Mind?


Yesterday saw us visiting two narrowboat fitters. I started the day 60:40 in favour of fitter number two because of the comments about complicated systems I had on the phone while setting up the meeting with number one. The impression I got was that number one was wary of novel systems because of the risk of cost and time overruns and that number two is keen to tackle novel systems. I was a little disappointed because I really liked number one's interior designs.


After the visit however and a talk with both fitters I am now in favour of number one, about 70:30 I think.


D pulled a sickie with sore throat so was off school. He came with us. We were shown over a completed boat by each fitter and over a boat in progress by number one. The owner of the finished boat (live-aboards) by number one was rathe non-plussed when D took it upon himself to look in cupboards he was not meant to. We as parents suffered the usual cringeing embarrasment of parents with children in public who haven't quite understood the rules of a novel social situation.


Of course, the visits raised more questions than they answered, for example: If the diesel engine is cocooned with hospital silencer wil it be as quiet as an electri c propulsion motor? Have to ask the canalworld boat builder forum.

No comments: