Sunday, January 08, 2006

Narrowboat



Still very early days yet. I've arranged to go and see a boat fitter the week after next. He's a one man band and I spoke to his partner on the phone last week to arrange the visit (screaming child in the background - theirs, not mine). I'm still keen on the electric propulsion idea but she said he doesn't usually go for systems he's not familiar with on the basis of the potential extra cost and complications so not very encouraging there. I really like the look of his interiors but if he's not flexible it may not be feasible.


I had an email follow up from another fitter (note to fitters - keep in contact with your enquirers; they may change their minds and put you back on their short-list) who is experienced at gas free boats. Maybe they are a little more adventurous.


Of course, another option would be to take the newly completed boat to Thames Electric Launch Company and have them treat it as a retro-fit. I'm sure it's best to design the system in from the start though as it would be a good idea to make sure there's enough room for the batteries etc.

No comments: