Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Onward! In Little Steps


A short hop tonight after work, from Somerton Mill bridge to Just past The Cleeves Winding Hole. A very pleasant evening's cruise. Nether Heyford is a very pretty village with a railway station and is a popular mooring place. A very helpful chap opened the lift bridge 205, solving my dilemma about how to tackle it single-handed. I was very careful to slow to tickover past every boat and still had a head poke out to say the speed limit is 2mph! No it's not. The limit is 4 mph. We are asked to slow to tickover past moored boats and to make sure that we don't travel fast enough for our wash to break when this happens below 4 mph. I'm always careful to abide by these rules and I resent it when folk tell me I'm speeding when I'm not. One thing that was obvious was that boats with slack mooring ropes move far more when boats pass, so try tightening your ropes Mr. 2mph!

2 miles, 5¼ flg and 2 locks.
Moored near The Cleeves Winding Hole.

1 comment:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Well I hate to think what the chap would have said in the Oxfordshire Narrowboat that passed us on Somerton Meadow with a breaking wash behind had gone by. The chap behind me shouted at them and they slowed straight away, but still pulled the plns out of the hire boat ahead of us.